- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 4 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 ½ cups beer, or as needed
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- Step 1: Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Step 2: Mix together 3 cups flour, garlic salt, 1 tablespoon pepper, paprika, and poultry seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Step 3: Stir together 1 1/2 cups beer, remaining 1 1/3 cups flour, egg yolks, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a separate bowl; thin mixture with more beer if batter is too thick.
- Step 4: Moisten chicken pieces with a bit of water, then dip in the dry mixture. Shake off excess and dip in the wet mixture, then dip in the dry mixture once more.
- Step 5: Fry chicken pieces in hot oil until well-browned and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), 15 to 18 minutes.
- Step 6: Remove chicken pieces and drain on paper towels before serving.
- Tip: You can use water instead of beer if desired.
661 calories; Protein 42.4g; Carbohydrates 73.2g; Fat 18.6g; Cholesterol 167.9mg; Sodium 1840.1mg.