- 1 extra large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound ground lamb
- coarse salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¾ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Step 2: Use a melon baller to separate and remove seeds and pulp separately from the zucchini, carving out each half and leaving about a half-inch shell. Chop zucchini pulp into pieces about 1/4 inch in diameter. Discard seeds.
- Step 3: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground lamb; continue to cook and stir until lamb is lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir chopped zucchini into the lamb mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer mixture until the zucchini is hot, about 3 minutes. Drain excess grease. Season lamb mixture with coarse salt and black pepper.
- Step 4: Remove skillet from heat. Stir tomato sauce, tomatoes, feta cheese, pine nuts, and 1/4 cup mint leaves through the lamb mixture; spoon into the zucchini halves. Put stuffed zucchini halves into a large baking dish. Pour water into the baking dish.
- Step 5: Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Mix bread crumbs and mozzarella cheese in a bowl. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mint leaves over the zucchini and top with the bread crumb mixture. Continue baking until the top is crusty and browned, about 10 minutes more.
You can use basil in place of the mint. Using mint or basil will send the flavor either in a Middle-Eastern or Italian direction. If you use basil, consider changing the meat to ground beef, the nuts to walnuts, and the cheese to all mozzarella.
649 calories; protein 40.6g; carbohydrates 38.8g; fat 38.7g; cholesterol 114.7mg; sodium 1522.8mg.