- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder, or to taste
- ½ cup margarine, divided
- 1 stalk celery, leaves removed
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Step 2: Place chicken in a roasting pan, and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Sprinkle inside and out with onion powder. Place 3 tablespoons margarine in the chicken cavity. Arrange dollops of the remaining margarine around the chicken’s exterior. Cut the celery into 3 or 4 pieces, and place in the chicken cavity.
- Step 3: Bake chicken uncovered in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove from heat and baste with melted margarine and drippings. Cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest about 30 minutes before serving.
423 calories; protein 30.9g; carbohydrates 1.2g; fat 32.1g; cholesterol 97mg; sodium 661.9mg.