• 1 1/2 cups quick oats
• 2 1/4 cups flour
• 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
• 1 1/4 cups butter
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup milk
• 2 tsp vanilla
• 2 tbsp flour
- Melt butter completely.
- Mix butter with oatmeal, flour, and brown sugar.
- Press 2/3 of this mixture into a greased (I also like using parchment paper) 9×13 pan and bake at 325ºF for 10 minutes. When done, allow it to cool.
- Set remaining 1/3 of crust aside for topping.
- While crust is baking, melt butter for filling in a saucepan.
- Stir in brown sugar until smooth. (about 1 minute)
- Repeat for milk, vanilla, and flour, adding each one separately.
- Bring to a slow boil for about 3 minutes until it begins to thicken. Be sure to stir continuously.
- Remove from heat.
- When crust is cool to the touch, pour caramel filling on it.
- Sprinkle remaining crust mixture over top.
- Bake at 300ºF for an additional 20 minutes.
- Bars will appear a bit runny but will firm up when cool.