• 1/2 cup pineapple juice (from a can or carton – fresh won’t work)
• 1/3 cup white sugar
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
• 2 Tablespoons Tamari (or soy sauce if you’re not gluten free)
• 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (optional, only if you like it spicy – or 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes)
• 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
• 2 Tablespoons cold water
• 2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Heat a medium sized skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the pineapple juice, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, Tamari, and sambal oelek. Whisk to combine, then bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water to make a slurry.
- Slowly add the slurry to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Bring to a light boil, and boil for approximately 1 minute (or until the sauce has just thickened).
- Turn off the heat, and stir in the food coloring (if you’re using it).