• 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 C water
• 4 Granny Smith apples cored, peeled, sliced into fries about 1/2in thick
• 1 ⁄2 C cornstarch
• 4 C canola oil to fry the fries
• 2 C granulated sugar
• 3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
• Fresh whipping cream
• 1 C caramel sauce heated
- Prepare an apple bath for your fresh sliced apples.
- In a large bowl add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup of water.
- Set aside.
- Slice the peeled apples and then cut into 1⁄2 inch wide sticks,
- As you cut the apples into the sticks, add them to the water bath.
- Soak them for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable oil to the electric fryer.
- Allow the oil to heat to 300 degrees.
- Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse the apple sticks.
- Set them aside in a bowl.
- Divide into 2 equal batches.
- Put the cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Toss the apple sticks in the bowl until well coated.
- Shake off the excess cornstarch from the apple sticks.
- Add the prepared apple sticks to the electric fryer.
- Fry for about 2 minutes or (until the sticks are soft but still pale in color.)
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the first patch of apple fries.
- Lay paper towels on the baking sheet.
- Place the apple fries on the wire rack.
- Allow the fryer to reach 300 degrees before adding the second batch.
- Once the vegetable oil reaches 300 degrees.
- Toss the second batch of apple sticks in the cornstarch.
- Shake off the excess cornstarch.
- Fry the second batch for 2 minutes or until they are soft yet still pale.
- Remove the apple fries from the fryer and place them on the wire rack.
- Allow the vegetable oil to heat to 375 degrees.
- Add 1⁄2 cup of sugar and the cinnamon together in a shallow baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer add the heavy cream, vanilla, and remaining sugar.
- Beat until medium peaks form. Move to a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Divide the apple fries into 3 equal batches.
- Add the first of the 3 batches to the fryer.
- Refry the first batch for 1 1⁄2 minutes or until they are crisp and lightly brown.
- Line a cookie sheet with a layer of paper towels.
- Toss the first batch of apple fries onto the lined baking dish.
- Next, toss those apple fries in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Move to a plate.
- Refry the second batch of apple fries following the same directions as with the first batch.
- Follow the same directions, fry the third batch of apple fries and finish following the same steps.
- Add the second and third batch of apple fries to the plate holding the first batch.
- Serve the apple fries with whipped cream and warm caramel sauce for dipping.