1 pound ground beef
¼ cup shredded parmesan
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg
2 cups marinara sauce
12 asiago cheese slices
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
8 small hoagie rolls
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine the beef, breadcrumbs, garlic, egg, parsley, garlic and parmesan in a bowl using your hands.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper and mix again.
- Make 24 small meatballs with the meat mixture, rolling them into balls with your hands.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Cook the meatballs in batches for 5 minutes or until seared all over.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the meatballs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and set to one side.
- Meanwhile you can cut an oval shape from the top of each roll, leaving about ½-inch on the sides and ends.
- Use a knife to hollow out the rolls, taking care not to cut all the way through.
- Arrange the rolls on a greased baking dish.
- Add a slice of asiago cheese into the hollowed-out part.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce to each one.
- Add 3 meatballs on top of that.
- Add the rest of the marinara on top of them.
- Finally sprinkled shredded cheese on top and bake for 6 to 8 more minutes.
- Serve still warm from the oven.