FOR THE DOUGH
• 3 cups of all-purpose flour 375 grams
• 4 tablespoons margarine or butter at room temp
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• ¼ teaspoon salt increase as needed if margarine/butter is unsalted
• 1 cup water – room temperature
FOR THE FILLING
• 1 can sardines in oil 125 grams
• 2 small red and yellow bell peppers or half of 1 large green bell pepper also called sweet pepper
• ½ medium onion
• 1 medium-sized carrot
• 2 sprigs of parsley or half stem of celery
• 2 garlic cloves ground fresh spices will work too
• Oil for frying
- Shred the carrots with a grater then finely chop the onion and garlic. Also chop the bell pepper and parsley.
- Remove two tablespoons of oil from the can of sardines then place in a pot or skillet. Let it heat for 1 minute then saute the onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in the other vegetables and mix then push them to one side of the pan. Drain the remaining sardines from the oil then add to the cleared side of the pan and mash – don’t make them too mushy.
- Mix the fish and veggies together. That’s it, your filling is ready.
- For the dough, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter with finger tips until well incorporated.
- Add water a little at a time and mix until it forms a dough. Sprinkle flour on a board then place dough on top and knead for about two minutes until elastic and smooth.
- Cut a little piece of dough. It should be a little smaller than the size of a golf ball.
- Roll it out on a floured board to form an oval.
- Put a tablespoon of the filling at one end of the rolled-out dough then fold the dough over the filling. Fold in the edges too. Roll till the other end. Repeat process with the rest of the dough.
- To fry, heat oil on high heat till hot for about 5 – 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and put in the rolls to fry. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan! Fry for about 5-8 minutes until nice and golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel.